Unit 3: Networking

In 2013 social networking plays an important role in education, for both students and teachers. Tools such as Twitter and Facebook allow us to connect with educators from all over the world and provide our students with amazing learning experiences.

In my classroom we have a class Twitter account (@3JessMLP12C) that we use to share our learning experiences with the world everyday. We write our posts during the day as we are learning and publish them using my iPad.  My iPad is connected to the Apple TV, so students are able to see any replies we get from parents, or the wider community, throughout the day. It is easy to see the excitement and achievement my students feel when somebody replies to one of our posts, they are very proud of what they are doing in class and what they have published.

I have also had a personal twitter account (@jessygallagher) for almost two years now. I use it both personally and professionally. I have connected with many educators from all over the world, including the US and New Zealand. It’s great to be able to put a question or idea out into the Twittershpere and get so many replies and responses from a variety of different people.

I have had a Facebook account since 2008. It is a fantastic tool to use to connect with people. I have many family members who live interstate so it is great to be able to stay in touch and keep up with their lives so easily. I also spent several weeks in Europe over Christmas and was able to keep in touch with my parents and sister back in Australia nice and easily via Facebook.

I prefer to use Twitter professionally, and Facebook personally. Although in recent months I have liked a few educational pages on Facebook. At my school Twitter is accessible, but Facebook is not.

2 Comments on Unit 3: Networking

1. Jess Gallagher
    April 12, 2013 at 11:51 am (5 years ago)

Hi Yen,

Our ICT team believe that Twitter is something that can be more locked down, monitored and protected. Facebook has a great stigma attached regarding Cyber Bullying and the College is so far hesitant to move down this path.

Jess.

2. plnteam
    April 11, 2013 at 4:10 am (5 years ago)

Interesting that Twitter is permitted at your school and not facebook – why is this so?
    And it’s good to see that you’ve got the students involved with tweeting and posting blogs – it’s another medium of publishing and communicating that we should all learn.
    Best wishes
    Yen
    PLN team