ICTEV13

I first attended ICTEV in 2012, and as a first year graduate it was a fantastic starting point for the professional learning journey I have been on over the past twelve months. I made many connections with likeminded teachers via twitter, I learnt how to incorporate augmented reality into my teaching and strengthened my use of technology as learning tool.

This year however I took my involvement with ICTEV to a new height, and presented ‘Learning with iPads’ with my colleague Michelle Meracis. Our session focused on how we have used iPads in a 1:1 setting and how I am now integrating technology into my non- 1:1 setting this year. It was fantastic to hear how many people enjoyed our session!

Some key ideas and thoughts I took away from the day:

• ‘The device should not become the driver’: In other words, technology should enhance the learning of students, not replace the fundamentals of education. Students need to know how to use technology to their advantage, how it can assist them in creating a better quality of work.

• Practical Knowledge Triangle: Knowing what it is, knowing what it does and knowing how to do it.

• Social Media in classrooms should be used for global communication, collaboration, sharing ideas, researching, reflecting, asking questions, sharing links, and creating a digital footprint.

ICTEV13 has led to 3 Jess creating a Twitter Wall (see image below) and making many links with other classrooms and educators all over the world, in only 3 days! A MASSIVE thank-you to Bec Spink for inspiring me!